Lake & Porter County MedPay Lawyers

While you are recovering from an accident, dealing with medical bills can be stressful. At Laura L. Rybicki, LLC, in St. John, our Northwest Indiana car accident lawyers have over 30 years of combined experience guiding injured people through the complicated process of getting your medical bills paid. We offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights and options.

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills?

If the accident was caused by someone else, the insurance company of the at-fault party is responsible for paying your medical bills and other damages. However, the insurance company will not pay you anything until your case is resolved either through a jury trial or settlement. That can take a year or longer, especially if your injuries are serious. You should never settle your case until you have reached maximum medical improvement. Only then will you know how the accident will affect your life going forward.

In the meantime, you still need medical treatment, both to get better and to document your injuries to the insurance company. Several sources of medical coverage that may be available:

  • Your private medical insurance plan: Your insurance plan will expect to be reimbursed after your recovery.
  • Medical coverage through your employer: Your employer’s insurance plan will expect to be reimbursed after your recovery.
  • MedPay: MedPay is medical insurance that is a part of your auto insurance. While MedPay is not required in Indiana, many people have this coverage as a part of their auto policy.
  • Medicare or Medicaid: Both will expect to be reimbursed after your recovery.
  • Medical Lien: If you have no other insurance available, some providers will provide your care in exchange for a lien on your recovery.

Reimbursing private and employer health plans after your recovery can be complex. For example, if your medical insurance plan has negotiated fees, you only have to reimburse the negotiated fee, not the full amount you recovered from your personal injury lawsuit. It’s best to have an experienced attorney negotiate your medical reimbursements. This area of law is known as “subrogation.”

For More Information About Medical Payments Insurance

For more information or to schedule a free consultation with our Porter County and Lake County medical payments insurance lawyers, call (219) 365-7766 or fill out the contact form on this website.