Merrillville, Schererville, Crown Point, St. John, East Chicago, Hammond, Gary Work Site Injury Attorneys

Construction workers may be entitled to compensation over and above workers’ compensation if their injury was caused by someone who does not work for their employer. These are known as third-party cases.

At Laura L. Rybicki, LLC, in St. John, our Northwest Indiana workers’ compensation lawyers represent injured construction workers in Lake County, Porter County and throughout northern Indiana. We offer a free initial consultation to evaluate your case and answer your questions about workers’ compensation and personal injury law.

Can I Sue the Person Who Injured Me?

In most cases, workers’ compensation is your only source of recovery in a workers’ compensation case. Generally, you cannot sue your employer even if employer negligence or negligence by a co-worker led to your injury. However, if your injury was caused by someone who doesn’t work for your employer, you may have a right to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party in addition to collecting benefits from workers’ compensation.

Construction sites are different from many work environments in that job sites often contain numerous contractors and vendors who work for other employers. Examples include:

  • Injuries caused by heavy equipment such as cranes and earth-moving equipment operated by another contractor working on the same site
  • Falls from ladders and scaffolding installed by a vendor
  • Injuries caused by objects dropped by employees of another contractor
  • Injuries caused by dangerous job site conditions

If you are an Indiana construction worker who has suffered an injury on the job, our Lake County accident lawyers can help you recover all of the compensation and benefits that may be available to you.

For More Information About Construction Accidents

For more information or to schedule a free consultation with our Lake County and Porter County construction accident attorneys, call (219) 365-7766 or fill out the contact form on this website.